AAA estimates that 94.5 million people will be on highways traveling to loved ones, ski resorts, the Florida sunshine, or some other destination during the holiday season. This number does not even include flights or rail travel. There will definitely be traffic and delays, so it will be a good idea to bring entertainment along.
With portable electronic devices on the rise, more and more people are using smart phones and tables to while away the hours. Apps are the bridge that help bring books, newspapers, magazines, games, music, and video to us in a small package so we do not have to lug hardcover copies of best sellers, travel board games, or crossword puzzles.
Below are some apps to keep you busy while traveling via bus, train, plane, or automobile.
- Blio – The Princeton Public Library provides ebooks to read with app.
- Zinio – The library also offers magazines that can be viewed using this app.
- Super Stickman Golf, Hangman, or Cut the Rope – Multiplayer, two-player, and single player games.
- Spotify – You can stream holiday music. Random music within categories is free, but if you pay $9.99/month you can play any song, and download music to listen to offline.
- Netflix – They have a nice collection of holiday movies for kids and adults, and you can create personalized profiles for everyone in the family, so each one can have quick access to their watch list. Enjoy movies from Charlie Brown’s Christmas Tales to National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.