Mrs. G’s Appliance Chef, Mary Beth Madill, has another delicious recipe to share from the Miele kitchen vignette at Mrs. G’s. The roasted cauliflower is a tasty side dish to make on a grill pan. One of the variations below might even get kids to eat it (think cheese)! Here are her recipes for Watermelon Blueberry Salsa, Lemonade and Shrimp, and Beef Kebabs. Madill provides more of her recipes on her Appliance Chef blog.
She’s also offers cooking classes for kids (with a parent). So check the site for the next class so you can see her cooking techniques live!
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 3 pounds)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wash the cauliflower and remove the tough outer leaves and discard. Leave the core (stem) intact.
- Cut the base so that it can stand up without moving around.
- Place cauliflower, base side down, on a work surface.
- Using a very sharp knife, and starting at top center of cauliflower head, cut down the center of the cauliflower head to divide it in half, then carefully cut four 3/4-inch thick slices (two off each half).
- Set cauliflower steaks aside. You can get two (2) large cauliflower steaks and two (2) medium-size cauliflower steaks from the cauliflower head.
- You can cut the remaining cauliflower florets and brown them with the steaks, or save them for another use.
- Heat a stove top cast iron grill or in a large non-stick frying pan to medium-high heat.
- Brush cauliflower steaks with olive oil on both sides, season with salt and pepper, and sear 2 to 3 minutes per side until golden brown (this will create a nice brown sear). Only turn once as they are a bit delicate.
- Remove from pan and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining cauliflower steaks.
- Roast cauliflower, in the oven, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- When the cauliflower steaks are done, remove from heat and transfer them onto individual serving plates.
- Makes 2 to 4 servings (depending on serving sizes).
- Lightly sprinkle some toasted sesame oil over top of the cauliflower steaks before roasting, and before serving, sprinkle with some sesame seeds.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon minced garlic over the top of the cauliflower steaks before roasting.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander over the top of the cauliflower steaks before roasting.
- Delete salt and add 1/4 cup soy sauce before roasting.
- Substitute smoked paprika for the salt and black pepper when searing.
- Add 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese after baking. Return to oven and continue roasting until the cheese is melted and any moisture has evaporated, approximately 5 additional minutes.