If you’re a thrill seeker, you’ll love my latest adventure. Actually, it was my husband’s experience, but I joined him. We drove up to Alexandria Field in Pittstown (not far from Flemington) for his tandem jump with SkyDive Jersey.
It was a perfect day. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky, and winds were only 7 mph. It was about 81 degrees, and passengers and instructors were in a great mood. I met with Chuck, one of the owners, and chatted with him a bit about his business.
This USPA certified company is run by two young men who started out as instructors in Atlanta, transferred to Philadelphia, and decided to open a place of their own right here in New Jersey. They lease a few Cessnas, and have commercial pilots flying them. There are instructors that help you get into the harness, and take you for the jump. The parachute riggers meticulously untangle and repack the chutes. The process must take at least 20 minutes, and I was fascinated watching them go through their routine. There is also safety personnel, who shows the safety video and gives you tips.
Upon arriving, you have to park on the road side of the runway and call for a pick up. Someone will drive over in a golf cart and bring you to the opposite side where they have their facilities. This is a quick process. Once on that side, you sign a waiver and watch the safety video.
After the video, handing in your voucher, and showing your ID, you’re ready to put on the harness. Next, you, another passenger, and the instructors board the plane. Once you reach an altitude of 10,000 feet, you’re ready for the jump. If you’ve chosen the Media Package, your instructor takes photos and video of you before you board and throughout your experience. You get to choose two songs for the HD Quicktime video, and included are 30-60 photos on the CD, all of your pre/post jump interviews, free fall and parachute descent.
The instructor connects to your harness, you get into position, and JUMP! The free fall is about 30 seconds and you’re dropping 120 mph. During this time it’s hard to breathe through your nose, but oxygen does get through your skin. You’ll get a tap just before the chute is about to open to brace yourself for the jolt, and then you glide the rest of the way down breathing easily.
This is a pure adrenaline rush, and better than anything you can experience at Six Flags, including the popular ride Kingda Ka! There’s also the experience of the flight and spectacular aerial views, along with the parachute adventure that is actually paragliding with today’s modern chutes. So technically, you’ll get three experiences, of which two are extreme sports. If sky diving is on your bucket list, this is a great place to experience a tandem jump.
- If you go with a group, it may take half a day to complete everyone’s jump depending on the size of your party, so it’d be a good idea to pack a lunch. There are picnic tables on the side if you’d like to eat there, and they have refrigerated beverages for sale.
- If you don’t enjoy spinning or flipping, inform your instructor well before the jump.
- I would advise you to bring a change of pants or ask for a jumpsuit if you plan on going anywhere afterwards, because your bottom will get dirty during landing. Click here for more advice from their site.
- Tipping is not expected, but they do appreciate it.
- This is a great gift for grads, Father’s Day, or for anyone who’s adventurous. There was almost an equal mix of men and women of all ages over 18.