Moms make so many sacrifices for the family that they should be honored at least one day out of the year for all of their efforts. Mother’s Day is the day to do it, and it’s rapidly approaching. Every mom likes to feel appreciated, so she should be pampered! I’ve come up with some unique and fun gift ideas to show appreciation for the hardest job in the world.
- Montgomery Eye Care – Celebs adore Tom Ford optical and sunglasses, and you can get a pair for mom here. My faves, the Campbell and Jennifer are available, as well as the Whitney and so many others.
- Fashion Week Tickets – Book a package with W Hotel in NYC for your fashionista, and get the exclusive VIP Catwalk experience that includes a pair of complimentary VIP invitations to a show during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, cocktails, and a suite at the hotel with a 3 PM CHECKOUT! Contact Rachel within the first few days of August for the September package. This is a gift worth waiting for. Warning: they sell out FAST, so mark your calendar!
- Rent the Runway – Have her rent a couture dress, gown, or accessories for a fraction of the cost of purchasing it, and then take her out on the town.
- California Closets – Every fashionista needs a well-organized closet.
- Great Looks for Less – This Lawrenceville hair salon is offering a Mother-Daughter Makeover and Photo Shoot that will take place Sunday, May 20th from 11 AM – 6 PM and will cost $60.00. Proofs provided.
- Fragrance – Look at her current fragrances, and get an updated version, i.e. Burberry Brit Summer Edition, Bvlgari Omnia Coral, Calvin Klein Eternity Summer 2012, Clinique Happy Summer, Coach Coach Summer Edition, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Dreaming in Portofino, or Thierry Mugler Angel Aqua Chic.
- Kate Spade – Get her a stylish iPhone or iPad case, cover or sleeve.
- The Day Off – This costs nothing extra, yet is priceless. The whole family cooks, cleans, and waits on mom ALL day. It’s like she has a personal butler.
- Concierge of Princeton – This is a busy time of year, and sometimes a woman can use an extra set of helping hands for a short-term. Hire a personal assistant to help her catch up, or assist with a particular project.
The Health & Fitness Fan
- Phrog Fitness Studio – A personal trainer will customize a workout to fit her lifestyle in a spa-like setting.
- CB Personal Training – If she’d prefer to train at home, have a local personal trainer go to her home for a private or semi-private session.
- Origins – Book her a FREE mini-facial (optionally, add a gift card for her to buy some organic skin products).
- Magnificent You – Either she can go to the massage studio OR the massage therapist can travel to her home with all equipment necessary to give her a massage in the privacy of her own setting, including pre-natal massages for the mom-to-be. Best prices in the area for outstanding service.
- Lululemon – Sign her up for FREE yoga classes on Sundays at 9 AM. Add on a gift certificate for clothing and accessories for running, yoga, and working out.
- Vacation – Book a Royal Caribbean or Celebrity cruise. Both conveniently leave from Cape Liberty cruise port in Bayonne. Set sail to Bermuda, the Bahamas, or Eastern or Southern Caribbean.
- Bliss Travels – Surprise her with a culinary or cultural journey to France.
- Antiquing Weekend – Rent a U-Haul and arrange a weekend antiquing with her girlfriends.
- Whale/Dolphin Watching – Head down to Cape May for a day, and take a boat tour to see these mammals in their natural habitat.
- Hope & Ivyland Railroad – Take a scenic ride through Bucks County on Mother’s Day out of New Hope. Included are sandwiches, salads and Italian wines.
- Stratos Jet Charter – Book a charter flight departing from Trenton Mercer Airport. There are also discounted empty legs available.
- Atlantic City – Spend a night at the brand new resort Revel, which offers a casino, entertainment, shopping, an amazing spa, great restaurants, and more. This one is supposed to give the Borgota, which is also a fine choice, a run for its money.
- Princeton Errands – Choose For The Chef at Heart with No Time for the woman who loves to cook, but has little time for prep work.
- CIA Boot Camp – Give your budding chef a cooking vacation or weekend class at the famous Culinary Institute of America.
- elements – Their Chef for a Day package is perfect for the home cook in your life.
- Molecular Gastronomy Cooking Kit – Gels, spheres, foams and the like, all at her fingertips. This is definitely for the food science lover.
- Edible Arrangement – The Forrestal Village location can deliver fresh fruit arrangements to the office or home.
- Amazing Clubs – Sign her up for the Breakfast of the month club or any other club like cheese, olive oil, wine, etc.
- Mrs. G TV & Appliances – A wine refrigerator is a great gift for the mom who enjoys wine.
- Princeton Cookie Company – Order hand-iced cookies for her.
- SousVide Supreme Demi – Brookstone carries this mini sous vide water bath that will cook food precisely.
- The Little Chef – Wake up early to get the BEST croissants in the state for breakfast. FYI: arriving at 10 AM is probably too late on a Sunday.
- Modernist Cuisine – THE cookbook of the decade. The price is steep at $450, but it’s a six-volume manual with 1,500 recipes weighing 40 lbs. It’s a resource for professional chefs, but is also fantastic for home cooks. The 3,200 photos are spectacular!
- Private Lessons – What has she always wanted to learn? Let her choose lessons for voice, dance, Japanese flower arranging, art, riding, or whatever her heart desires.
- Glass Blowing Class – This is a fun and unique gift.
- Mom Cave – Zen room, pillows, scented candles, throws, plush rug, comfy seating, or whatever she needs for her own personal space.
- Pins and Needles – Enroll her in a knitting class.
- The Vow – Pick up this romantic drama on DVD or Blu-ray that will be released on May 8, 2012.
- The Peacock Inn – Have brunch in one the most romantic restaurant in Princeton that’s listed as one of the Top 25 restaurants in the state by New Jersey Monthly.
- Indoor Picnic – Plan a picnic in the kitchen, family room, or living room for lunch or dinner. Spread a blanket on the floor, and serve her favorite food.
- Breakfast in Bed – Check here for breakfast ideas (including two of my recipes), put it on a breakfast tray with the morning paper and a single rose, and play soft music.
- Write Poems – Have everyone in the family write a poem for her in a journal. This journal could be used every year to form a collection of personalized poetry.
- Flowers – Buy a single exotic flower to make a statement, like a calla lilly, anthurium, or bird of paradise. If you have a larger budget, order a unique arrangement from Viburnum.
- The Rocky Hill Inn and Tavern – Liana Guberman will be present on Mother’s Day giving patrons the treat of live opera 2 – 4 PM. They will serve Mother’s Day specials as well as their regular menu from 1 – 6 PM.