Every couple needs to get away for romantic moments, especially parents. Going out on a date should happen on a regular basis, and occasionally it should be something new and exciting from the norm.
The bold colors of sunsets, fireworks, and fall foliage are the perfect backdrops for romantic dates, and activities enhance them, whether they’re adventurous or passive. I’ve come up with some creative and fun romantic date ideas for various personalities, seasons, budgets, special occasions, and big impressions.
- Couple’s Spa Suite – There are a few spas that offer a couple’s suite, which started to trend in 2006. Twosomes get time alone in the suites before or after their treatments. Flic Spa in Bloomfield offers flowers, candles, heated beds, and white glove service. Red Door Spas in Atlantic City has a lounge area, fireplace, couple’s Jacuzzi and shower in theirs. In NYC, Great Jones Spa provides a jacuzzi, steam room and shower.
- Onsen for All – Reserve the private outdoor soaking tub that simulates a natural hot spring for 30 minutes. Afterwards, take the time to sit down and indulge in a cup of one of their organic teas or juices.
- Red Square – No passport required for this themed facility, just drive down to the Tropicana in Atlantic City for this vodka and caviar bar and restaurant. If you buy at least a half bottle of vodka, you get invited into the sub-zero vodka vault where ladies wear a fur hat and coat, and men don a Soviet military hat and coat.
- Cuisine by Reneé – It’s been said that the more couples share together, the stronger their relationship becomes. This personal chef offers private cooking classes for couples. Jointly prepare a sumptuous meal in your home, then sit down for a romantic dinner after your fun work is done.
- Evening Helicopter Ride – Take a 30 minute ride with New York Tours from Linden, NJ to Manhattan. Soar above the city to see New York aglow.
- VIP Night on the Town – Book a sedan with A-1 Limousine for an evening in NY. Reserve a table for two at a top restaurant, and purchase tickets to a popular Broadway show or opera to woo your love.
- Private ‘Butler’ – Concierge of Princeton can send a staff member (not a traditional butler) to your home to do things like purchase a bouquet of flowers and a gift, wrap the gift, start a fire in the fireplace (seasonal), set the table for two with flowers and candles, cook a meal (or pick up catered food), serve the meal, draw a rose petal bath, and clean up the kitchen. Such requests need at least two weeks notice.
- Snowmobiling – Rent one or two vehicles, and after an exhilarating ride, head over to The Lodge at Woodloch for a salon or spa treatment (like a manicure). This allows you access to their award-winning spa facilities including a private men’s/women’s retreat area (saunas, steam rooms, whirlpools, and fireplace lounges), the co-ed Aqua Garden (soaking pool with heated hydromassage waterfall, indoor pool, and outdoor whirlpool), and the co-ed Whisper Lounge (fireplace and outdoor porch with rocking chairs), before AND after your treatment.
- Fall Foliage – Drive along the winding roads in Princeton to the Sourland Mountain Nature Preserve. Bring soup, sandwiches, and warm beverages to enjoy as a tailgate somewhere off the road. This is even more stunning if you have a panoramic roof.
- Ice Skating – There are a few rinks in the area, but it’s more fun to wait until Lake Carnegie freezes over for outdoor skating, giving you a Currier & Ives experience. Afterwards, head over to the Yankee Doodle Tap Room’s bar for a beverage or drink by the fireplace to warm up.
- Picnic for Two on a Secluded Beach – There’s an unfrequented section of beach located inside the Barnegat Inlet. It’s just behind the light of the Barnegat Lighthouse State Park on LBI, where you can have a nearly private picnic adventure. Drive north on Long Beach Boulevard into Barnegat Light. Turn left on 20th Street, which turns into Auburn Road. Just past a quarter of a mile, bear right at the fork onto Sunset Boulevard, then drive to the end. You should then see the footpath to the beach. Walk half a mile to get to the best spot. Stay for sunset if you can. Return the way you came.
- Sunset Charter – The two of you can sail away for 2 1/2 hours on the Catalina 34 Sloop Prime Time. Bring a wine and cheese picnic basket, and enjoy the sunset.
- Fireworks – Princeton’s displays are usually a few days before the fourth of July. Plan to have a progressive date stretching over a number of days by visiting different towns and cities for their shows.